Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Using the Library Catalog
Locating Books in Sawyer Library Stacks
Catalog Search Strategies
- Start broad to get a sense of your topic
- Japan + your topic
- Limit search results by type of source, language, date
- Use the Browse search
- Do a Subject browse to see how the subject Japan is described
- Follow the Subjects
- Do a few keyword searches in the library catalog
- Once you find a relevant book, click on the Details link and look at the Subjects to find similar items
- When you click on a subject, it will run a new search on that topic
- Browse the shelves
Books are organized on the shelves according to topic, so once you find a promising source, you can:
- use the Virtual Browse link in the library catalog to see other possibly relevant books around it
- or go to the shelves to browse physically
Research Tip: Finding Ebooks
You can find ebooks in the library catalog by doing a search for a topic, title, or author, and filtering your search results by:
- Availability: Full Text Online and Open Access
- Resource Type: Books
See a demo:
You can also search directly in ebook provider platforms.
Research Tip: Borrow It
If we don't own a book, or if our copy is checked out, you can borrow a copy from another library. Just search for the book in Williams WorldCat, and then choose "Request Item" to borrow it.
If you need help, just ask!