(from West's Encyclopedia of American Law):
|Miranda v. Arizona,
||86 S.Ct. 1602,
||16 L.Ed. 2d 694
- Case title. Indicates the names of the parties.
- Reporter volume. Indicates the volume of the reporter containing the case.
- Reporter name, abbreviated. In this example, it stands for U.S. Reports, which contains U.S. Supreme Court decisions. To decode abbreviations, use Bieber's Dictionary of Legal Abbreviations
- Reporter page number. The first page of the case.
- Additional reporter citation. Cases can be reported in several reporters. In this example, the case also appears in volume 86 of Supreme Court Reporter at page 1602.
- Additional reporter citation. It was also reported in Lawyer's Edition, second series, volume 16, page 694.
- Year of the decision.