Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Individual activity + Group Discussion
In this activity, you will be looking up the following course texts in the library catalog. Then, we will regroup and have discussion about how each book is classed in the library system.
Islands of Decolonial Love, Leanne Betasamosake Simpson
Ceremony, Leslie Marmon Silko
The Ogre’s Daughter, Emile Habiby, Saraya
Deep Rivers, José María Arguedas
- Start at library.williams.edu
- Find the book in the library catalog
- Identify the book's call number
- Go to the corresponding section in the Class P section of the Library of Congress Classification
- Compare the four classification schemes. What do you notice? What is surprising? What changes would you like to make? Be prepared to discuss your observations.