Goal: Examining how books are described in the Williams library catalog
Format: Exploration followed by discussion. Working in pairs, look up the books in the library catalog. Then, we will regroup and have discussion about how each book is classed in the library system.
- Go to library.williams.edu
- Look up the four books in the library catalog
- Identify the call number of each book, then locate the book in the corresponding section in the Class P section of the Library of Congress Classification
- Comparing the four classification schemes, consider the following questions:
- What do you notice?
- What is surprising?
- What changes would you like to make?
Be prepared to discuss your observations.