For a specific piece of legislation:
- Use the Search by Number search form.
- If the bill passed into law, search by the public law number.
- If the bill did not pass into law, search by the bill number.
- In the search results, look for "Legislative History" or "Bill Profile" for summary/compilation of actions and documents.
To find legislative histories by topic:
- Use the Advanced Search form.
- Uncheck "Select All" Document Types and check "Legislative History."
- Enter keywords or select Subjects.
* Don't have the public law or bill number?
- Use the resources in the box on the right.
- Search by keyword in Congressional Publications
- Look for the number in the records of the items found.
- Re-run your search doing a Number Search.