About Reference Sources
The reference collection is an excellent place to begin your research if you want a quick and easy way to find:
- ideas for your paper
- a summary of a topic
- a list of recommended resources
- factual information
When using a reference resource:
- Read the preface and/or introduction to understand who created it and why. These sections will also tell you what is included or excluded and how to use it.
- Scan the table of contents to see how it is organized.
- Note its publication date (There will be a 2 to 3 year time lag for publications included in its bibliographies).
- Check its index if you are having trouble finding what you need.